> But the technology hasn't changed any at all that I can see.
> Except that there were no small, in ear systems 30 years ago.
> And there were no ear-bud styles earlier than about 15 or so years ago.
I suppose you've partly answered your own question, but aside of the
miniaturisation that allows Shure and Ety to make their stunning in-ear
systems, materials technology has improved with new cone, conductor,
magnetic and housing materials being used and manufacturing technology
has improved allowing better driver matching, closer tolerances in
driver assembly and better ways of making driver housings. These are
evolutionary technological improvements rather than revolutionary new
technologies I admit, but major improvements nonetheless.

--
Fifer