On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 22:14 -0400, Pat Farrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 12:53 -0400, Pat Farrell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 09:30 -0700, bjackson wrote:
> > > I would be suprised if you got any decent output out of the SB2 into a
> > > HD600/650 load which are 300 ohms.
> > >
> > > The standard headphone is 16-32-64 ohms, and the SB2 produces decent
> > > power into them, but I don't think it has the voltage needed to
> > > properly drive 600/650's, which are 10 x the impedance.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. A source produces voltage for the
> > signal, and the driven impedance determines how much current is
> > required. And the current times the impedance is the definition of
> > power.
>
> Errr,,, how I do I say this, my math is right, but I forgot a
> fundamental concept, so what I wrote is at least insufficient.
>

> > A high impedance driver is easier to drive. It takes lots less power.
>
> But, and this is the part I messed up on, is that there usually is
> some correlation between sound loudness and amplifier power. It is
> not enough to drive the load with a voltage, it needs power.
> Or as Tim says on Hometime, More Power.
>
> So, it is easy to put one volt into a high impedance load,
> that part was correct, but most of the high impedance loads still
> take nearly the same power to make the same loudness. (plus
> or minus the efficiency of the speaker/headphone)
>
> As one of my smarter friends explained it to me, the source can't supply
> enough volts to make the watts you want, then  it will appear to be
> working hard (volume control wide open) and not making much music.  The
> waveform may clip if the amp runs out of volts.  Of course, it isn't
> really working as hard because it isn't supplying the watts.
>
> In the case of a SqueezeBox, it isn't going to put out many watts of
> power. Which is why you need a amp to drive anything that isn't highly
> efficient.
>
> Sorry if my mistake confused anyone besides myself.

Ignoring the maths, the SB (1&2) works perfectly well with my
Sennheiser HD580's, which are also 300ohms.

The amount of power you typically need to drive headphones to
high volumes is effectively tiny, and everything I have tried
with a headphone socket has worked perfectly well with the
high impedance Sennheisers.

--
"The biggest problem encountered while trying to design a system that
was completely foolproof, was, that people tended to underestimate the