skvinson said:
> I've decided to buy an SB3.  Now I need to figure out the details.  I'm
> wondering if people are using the SBs with preamps.  What are the pros
> & cons?

I use an integrated amp, but never use it as a switch, so now
that the SB2/3 have overall volume controls, plus the software
control, I'd probably skip the preamp if I had to do it over.

Preamps are yet another place to have noise or coloring.
And they take at least one extra pair of interconnects.
Simpler is better.

> I can get a great deal on an Odyssey Tempest (active pre).
> That would provide switching for my dvd player into a dac (for times
> when I play something not already ripped), as well as the impact of a
> good active pre.

Seems to me that you want both the switching and the coloration
(i.e. impact) of a preamp.

I no longer play CDs on a player. I just rip them and use them
thru the squeezebox.

Of course, if you want the preamp as an effect box, that changes things.

Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com