slimnick Wrote:
> Elementary my dear LavaJoe! ;-)
>
> Actually, further to my previous post, I have found the following entry
> on the FAAD2 forum:
>
> http://www.audiocoding.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=151&forum=2
>
> Although this was seen on a Mac, this does seem to describe my problem
> exactly and so infers a problem with FAAD2. What is not encouraging is
> that this was reported back in 2004, so unless this is fixed in a newer
> version of FAAD2, I may have reached a dead-end with a Linux-based AAC
> Slimserver solution.
>
> So, unless there is a fix, I seem to be facing 2 options:
> 1. Convert all of my AACs to MP3 or FLAC.
> 2. Set-up a Windows server.
>
> Hmm, so much for a neat solution!
>
> Nick,

Problem solved!  One of the bugs filed against faad2 addresses this.  A
newline character is being written to stdout when it should be written
to stderr.  I applied the change mentioned, and it produces clean
audio.

If you get the source code from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/faac/

and build it, it will at least solve the problem.  But I do not know
why this has not been fixed in the official code release.

The patch is to:

frontend/main.c, line 835
(change "printf(" to "fprintf(stderr, ")

Note that in order to build on Fedora, I had to change another file:

common/mp4ff/mp4ffint.h, line 304
(add "static " to the start of the line)

Now.....  It would obviously be good to get this patch into the package
for the future.  Also, the patched version should probably be available
for download on the Slim web site, and this issue should be in the FAQ
so people can get good quality audio by using the transcoding.

--
LavaJoe