pfarrell Wrote:

> Maybe if one is as smart, talented, and good looking as Sean.

Actually I am not that good looking. My head is shaped like a
Squeezebox, for chrissake.

> I understand that it is about timing errors in the signal.
> But 44.1kHz signals, even the 1.5mHz signals that are all that
> red book is, is hardly high speed to you Silicon Valley guys.

Indeed, but we like to be going somewhere, rather than oscillating.

> While the standard temperature for healthy humans is 98.6 degrees
> Fahrenheit, medical folks don't worry if it reads 99.0. Or even 99.9.
> At 100.0, you don't have a fever. So we measure it but don't care
> about some range of values. Seems to me that nearly all measurements
> have similar ranges that are insignificant, and others that are
> important.

You suggest an interesting issue of average speed vs jitter. Both are
important - sb1 had issues with the absolute sample rate being not so
close to 44.10000 KHz and this I believe would be more audible than
jitter, at least to untrained ears on typical systems.

> I'd love a cite to some science or engineering about
> the meaning of jitter at audio frequencies or redbook
> data rates.

Don't have URLs off the top of my head but ALW has posted some
previously.

--
seanadams