1) no, i wasn't using browse folder

2) I have done clear and rescan several times now.  Of course, the
bloody software isn't smart enough to indicate when it's actually done
scanning, so I have to take a guess.  I've tried 30 minutes, I've tried
1 hour, I've tried letting it go overnight.  Really incredibly, I think,
that they neglected to include some kind of progress or completion
interface.

3) Just to be save, I confirmed that everything was there, that all
files were properly tagged, and then I deleted and rebuilt the iTunes
library AND reset the iTunes file path.

Basically, I'm not doing anything wrong and this is looking like a pain
in the ass bug.

--
highdudgeon