I've been curious about jitter for a while, and had a few thoughts, but I
don't know if they make sense.

First some observations:

1) jitter is not an issue in the digital connection over ethernet sending
FLAC/WAV data to the SB (here I mean that if it occurs and causes errors
these are detected and the error packets are resent).

2) within the SB itself using the SB DAC jitter is not an issue because the
DAC is so close to the chip that is streaming the digital audio. Also they
share the same clock. (Is this true? I'm assuming it is, but I have no
evidence)

3) Therefore would it be possible to 'solve' the jitter problem by modding
your SB and DAC of choice so the digital streaming audio is directly pumped
into DAC chips of your external DAC and use the same clock signal. I realise
these would be pretty heavy duty mods and I'm not brave enough to take apart
an expensive DAC to try.

This is more in the nature of a thought experiment - would the audiophiles
agree that jitter would no longer be an issue? Or are there other effects at
work?

Just some idle speculation - but if this is a theoretical solution then it
might be a starting point for a more practical solution.

Malcolm