On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 18:07 -0800, ezkcdude wrote:
> P, no need to get so technical. Yes, I meant M$. I realize they didn't
> invent the idea behind DOS, but hey, they did trademark it, right?

Trademark DOS? No. Disk Operating System was a common term
long before the IBM PC was invented. They trademarked
the term "MS-DOS". and IBM trademarked "PC-DOS"

They didn't invent it, write it, or even popularize it.
They were amazing at marketing, but a lot of their
early success was riding on IBM's coat tails, and
following up when IBM was clueless.

> I don't think we have to worry about SD becoming $D, but I was trying to
> make a point!

Well, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
If the SqueezeBox becomes are widespread as an iPod,
is that good or bad? or am I missing it altogether?

I see the SqueezeBox network as a much more interesting
mass market idea. SlimServer is cool software, but
ripping, compressing, managing libraries, fixing
genres, keeping composer, conductor, orchestra, etc.
straight is way too much work for non-geeks.

>From my participation in the audiophile world,
reading the magazines (TAS, The Audiophile Voice,
Stereophile, Listener, etc.) and visiting
the few stores that still care about audio,
many audiophiles are not technical and not
all all computer oriented.

Audiophiles are not about "good enough" sound,
which is what MP3 and car stereos are all about.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html