enca Wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I think I have the same Copland setup as you CDA266/CSA28 and have just
> got a SB3 for Christmas running on B&W CDM 7SE speakers.  Out of the box
> running via the phono outs it's clearly not as good as the CSA28. I
> currently have the digital output running through my aging Denon
> AVR3300 and back into the Copland which is an improvement but still
> some way off.  It clearly has potential though.
>
> I'd love to get this sounding at least as good as the CSA28.  I'm
> thinking of having a bash at Heuers power supply and adding a DAC.
> DACs are a new area for me do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions
> for something that would be suitable at up to the £1k mark (I'm based in
> the UK).
>
> Cheers
> Neil.

Hi Neil,

As the Squeezebox3 premisses are clinical albait a little on the flat
side, u dont wan´t an upsamling dac because that could possibly add up
for listening fatigue because of oversharp soundprojection.
It has been sugested a optimal combination could be an oversampling dac
with possibly tubes to soften and give liquidity with their specific
rolloff. I wouldn´t use and upsampling dac with the squeezebox.
I have 2 sugestions wich booth represent musicality and dynamics and
liquidity in a very convincing and involving way.

LiteAudio dac-38 (Chinese company with HongKong office)using 4
BurrBrown PCM1704K. 8x oversampling with soft roll off.
Uses same dac chips as used in wadia or krell reference cd for ultra
budget price 450$!.
It is said to almost equal to discrete dac PRISM sound da-2.
http://tinyurl.com/aqbqa

LiteAudio dac-60 or dac-72 with tubes, BB pcm1704K and BB pcm1702 chips
respectively.
These could possibly be and even better choice then the dac-38 by the
nature of balancing up the squeezebox3´s clinical sounding presentation
via the digital out.
Dac-60:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxy8
Dac-72:
http://tinyurl.com/84r57

There is only 1 reservation and that is with the LiteAudio dac-38.
It´s seems it has RFI and disturbs the Tuner in a hifi chain. But if u
use no tuner it´s a no matter.

Well these would be my bets having done some research after reading
people impressions with the Benchmark-1 DAC.
I havent bought any of these yet so all is speculation but based on me
doing some serious digging. I am planning to order the  dac-38 however
but not going to use it with the squeezebox though as i ended up
returning mine during the eval period as i am not intersted in modding
a finished product even if its only bying a new PSU KIT.

--
themite