I second the idea about DIY speakers.  I had Rick Craig of Selah Audio
design a front set (including center) for me.  He built the crossovers
and sent all the drivers and everything else (e.g., gaskets, screws).
With some help from a woodworking friend, veneering friend and
finishing friend, I have a set of speakers that cost me just over $1K,
but would sell for $2-3K if it was a namebrand.  They image so well, I
switched from listening to music with the various surround modes back
to 2-channel - which is what led me to a SqueezeBox.

And, if you don't want to DIY, all of Rick's pre-designed kits are
available assembled (Do-It-Themselves).  You are still saving a
substantial amount on dealer mark-up.

Rick's site is:
http://www.selahaudio.com/

He has an AudioCircle forum at:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=42

There are some other good DIY/T companies out there (e.g., Northcreek
Music & Salk Sound), but I just have personal experience with Selah
Audio.

Also, I know Rick has some speakers he will send out for an audition.
Other companies do the same.

Hope this helps!

--
skvinson