results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19817
Question: Should there be a new forum for photos?

- yes
- no
- maybe

nicky6 Wrote:
> What's seen so far among these pictures and on the web ("tests" of the
> sound of the Sonic Impact and the Squeezeboxes), I think that it's
> surprising to see so many people spending lots of dough on equipment
> and don't invest the time or money to make them play correct. Near
> cabinets filled with loose, "tingling" (don't know the word for the
> sound when small piece of metal rattle when they're loose) accessoires
> that will sound as soon as you walk by the cabinet and will really
> shake when playing music. Speakers close to walls, centre speakers
> underneatch cabinets, etc. etc. :)
>
> This is no flame, but I was just surprised... My Mission 780's (rated
> best speaker sub 1000 UKP in 2002 by What Hifi, so it's quite a cheap
> speaker) cost approx 500 USD at the time and the stands an extra 200
> (and the ceramic spikes an extra 100), but they sound quite different
> depending on where I put them (and when I put them on good stands and
> good spikes on the stands). Let alone the subwoofer (the 780's only go
> down to 65Hz), which I moved around in 10cm increments forever to get
> the best sound. No loose acessoires near my stereo system, except the
> odd remote on the table. A "tapestry" (don't know the english word for
> a cloth haning on the wall) on the side wall, a big sofa etc. and I've
> moved them all around to get the best sound possible. It's such a big
> difference in the sound compared to just putting them in each corner of
> the room, beside the side walls or close to the back walls, near a
> cabinet filled with loose bits, etc.
> I promise you that some of you would get much more value for your money
> if you played around with your current setups.
If I had a seperate room just for audio listening I guess I would do
what you suggest and might even buy some decent equipment. But if you
just have one room for watching tv, listening to music, reading, having
drinks with friends, etc. there are some other factors that are more
important than the best possible sound from your equipment. And if you
have a wife or girlfriend who doesn't really care if your music plays
as mp3 or in a lossless format it is really hard to justify speakers
standing in the middle of the room just because it sounds better (not
to mention buying spikes for a 100)! IMHO a great setup is not just
what you here but also what you see. Sometimes it is just not as simple
as putting your speakers in the right place.

-s.

--
slimpy