ezkcdude Wrote:
> Basically, as I understand it, the values from the chip are directly
> translated to voltages, so that if you measured the signal it would
> actually look like a stair-step pattern, as opposed to smooth.

>From the upsampling/oversampling camp, it is these stair-step patterns
that create the need for up/oversampling.  With each stair/step, the
"rise edge" of a step can be viewed as a very high-frequency signal
that is somewhere in the vicinity of 22.1khz.  In order to get rid of
that "artifact", a NOS DAC needs an analog filter after the DAC to
eliminate those artifacts.  Putting an analog filter so close to the
audible range is theoretically easy, but practically tough without
affecting the sound.

If you up/oversample the signal, you are effectively speeding up that
"rise edge" to a much higher frequency...for example, upsampled to
96khz, that rise edge now exists at 48khz (instead of 22.1khz).  So it
makes filtering out the digital artifacts much easier and with less
impact on the audible range.

IMHO, there is no sweeping statement like "NOS is always better" or
"up/oversampling is always better"...as with just about everything in
audio, it is dependent on the implementation.  Pick your
poison...digital filter in front of the DAC, or analog filter after the
DAC...

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.