Skunk Wrote:
> Does that translate even indirectly to what people with too much time on
> their hands describe as 'inky black backgrounds'? I hope you know I'm
> partially kidding Jon!
Well, I'm gullible enough that I will go along with just about whatever
escoteric mod the Intelligentsia says works -- as long as it costs less
than $20.00 ;-)

In the case of this power supply/choke debate, I think I am fairly
sensitive to subtle grunge noise in my system. In fact, I was detecting
a little, and I wondered if it was attributable to the switching power
supply. As it turned out, the mechanical source selector on my ancient
preamp must have had a little junk in it, because I turned it back and
forth fast a few times, and the noise went away.

But it did get me thinking about some sort of empirical test to compare
the two styles of power supplies on the merits of the noise they inject
into the signal path.

I have a linear supply that I bought on eBay. Actually two came with my
order, so I have an extra. I don't know a thing about them other than
the seller claimed they were linear supplies. They produce 5V @ 2500mA.
They're huge. They're big grounded suckers that weigh about three
pounds. But I need to find a power adapter plug that will fit the lead
coming out of the supply and the SqueezeBox, which I believe takes a
size "N."

--
jonheal

Jon Heal says: