Thanks to everyone for replying.

Bottom line:  it's definitely psychological.  I listened again and
again, and you really can't tell the difference (because there isn't
any). By default the Server compresses the WAVs to FLAC for
transmission and then decompresses at the Player end - so in both cases
FLACs hit the Player just the same.

A difference I did experience, however, was by putting in a $13 Hosfelt
Power Supply (incl. shipping).  I simply cut off the plug from the stock
PS and attached it to the Hosfelt (make sure you've got the polarity
right if you try this).  Small, but worthwhile, improvement.

I'm running SlimServer 6.2.1 with Firmware 29.  It all sounds quite
nice.  Impressive device, no doubt.

--
MusicMonkey