Thanks for your comments, Pat.

> It isn't the bass that is usually different, it is usually
> the reverb tails at the mid frequencies, and the decay of
> a snare hit.

The acoustic bass has that range, especially when recorded as well as
in that Kevin Mahogany album. t's in the "echo", when you hear the note
reverbrate. Mahogany's vocals are out of this world, and I truly can not
detect a difference in resolution there.

My reference for percussion and drums was Will Calhoun's "Native
Lands", and indeed there I did detect slight differences in the
sharpness of some hits, but then again my ears seem to prefer warmth
over "bite" in some instances, if you know what I mean.

> Why not FLAC? Same convenience as MP3, same sound as
> uncompressed, disk usage between uncompressed and MP3.

Indeed, why not? I may give it a try. The main reason is inertia - I
had started digitizing my music collection a while ago, and started off
with my LP collection about 2 years ago - and back then following some
online research decided on the MP3 256k CBR format. I'd feel guilty
about giving my CDs better treatment than my beloved old LPs. :-) And
it'd be a heck of a lot of work to re-do everything.

I'll probably give the FLAC an inevitable test run one of these days -
inquiring minds always need to find something new to play with. The
Kevin Mahogany album is a prime candidate.

--
pablolie