opaqueice said the following on 02/27/2006 05:30 PM:

> computer:  reads WAV file off hard disk -> compresses -> sends stream
> over the network
>
> sbox:  receives stream -> decodes to digital audio format (Redbook I
> guess?) -> outputs to the digital out
>
> So if the PSU on the sbox has any effect on sound, it seems to me so
> should the PSU on the computer (never mind that I can't see what that
> effect could possibly be).

The difference is that the digital transmission from the computer to the
SB is asynchronous, i.e. not done in real-time. All that's being sent is
a bucket of bits.

When the SB decodes the received data to play it back it streams the
series of bits synchronously, i.e. in real-time.

Advocates of replacing the power supply claim that a better (linear)
(regulated) power supply can improve the accuracy of the internal clock
used to create the digital stream and also improve the sound of the
analogue output too.

I've not tried this myself so am not in a position to comment one way or
the other, but I don't have a problem believing that this does indeed
work (I have an electronics background).

R.