P Floding wrote:
> dwc Wrote:
>
>>So is Naim more like Clyde Stubblefield or Zigaboo Modeliste?
>>
>>edit: agentsmith - nothing personal, I just struggle with comprehending
>>nebulous audiophile terms like PRAT, i.e. how can a freaking amplifier
>>have rhythm???
>

> It sure can have not-rhythm..

Absolutely.

Once you get off the bottom rung of the hifi ladder, i.we. you've got an
setup that can reproduce music at a reasonable volume without
slipping/distoring/whatever, further improvements are harder to describe.

PRAT is an attempt to describe the effects. It's actually really hard to
explain.

I can give an example of my own personal experience.

I had a (stock) Rotel RA820A amp for sometime. It's OK, nothing
spectacularm a little under-pwoered - the bottom rung, if you like.

I'd become to feel dissatisfied with my listening experience - the sound
was constricted, like it couldn't breathe (see what I mean about it
being difficult to describe?).

So much so, in fact, that when I did a listening test neither myself or
ModelCitizen (hi!) could tell the difference between SB1 analogue out
and SB1 digital out into a Perpetual Technologies P3-A DAC or an Arcam
Alpha or an Art DI/O.

That spurred me to get my soldering iron out and mod the amp. I replaced
a couple of op amps, replaced some caps, added bypass caps, and (and
this made the most difference) completely removed the tone control
section from the circuit.

Well, what a difference.

My music came alive, the sound stage opened up massively. The whole
sound became musical.

That, to me, is (P)ace, (R)hythm (A)nd (T)iming.

R.