gobikey Wrote:
> is the supply difference you hear through the external DAC or SB?  my
> SB's output is good but sounds a bit weaker in the lower frequencies
> that my paradisea. i'm going to try a linear psu soon anyway.... may
> try to build one myself.  ; )

I hear a difference through the internal DAC, in an otherwise
unmodified SB. I surely would have noticed a drop in performance, and
it's not the same, so I say there's an improvement.

My girlfriend doesn't care, so she won't help me blind test, but the
bass is a whole new animal- to my ears. I'm also able to listen to my
speakers on axis now, on many more albums than before. If you've ever
heard single driver speakers with a rising response, you realize this
is a pretty big deal. I don't have to _guess_ whether it sounds better,
it does. Toeing my speakers out and not experiencing fatigue is, to me,
physical proof that it sounds better.

I'm not sure what jump factor means, but I've always applied the term
as just what it sounds like. Can the song scare the shit out of you
with it's instantaneous dynamic transitions? The songs scare me more
often now. There's a more silent silence before the noise, and the
noise itself is more forcefull. It can be a revelation on some songs,
where you didn't even realize there was such a violently pleasing
stop/start. I used to think jump factor had to be predetermined by
engineers. Like, 'ok- let's scare the shit out of them at the beginning
of The Wall... We'll make it real quiet and get them to turn up the
volume, then DAH DAHN'. Now, however, I realize regular music can have
jump factor, and good drummers are masters at it.

Surely all this doesn't mean it will sound better in everyones system,
but it does in mine.

My completely unsubstantiated theory:

The SB wall wart would probably sound better plugged into a nice power
filtering unit, rather than the crummy outlets that aren't up to code,
let alone audiophile standards, in my house. Therefore, why couldn't a
linear supply in line before the internal switcher also make a
difference? I think the cleaner power contributes to my sense of
increased soundstage, detail retrieval, and background blackness. Also,
richidoo mentioned his theory about bass improvement, which I would
imagine contributes to the increased 'jump factor' I experience.

Whether it's all imagined or not, I don't even care. To me it was
money/time well spent as I'm enjoying the SB more than ever- when
honestly I was beginning to grow tired of it's sound pre linear
upgrade.

--
Skunk