banzai Wrote:
> In theory you're right, though in practice who knows? You're still
> counting on your soundcard driver/manufacturer to pass the signal
> through cleanly.
>
> I've got my living room PC running an ASIO driver through my MAudio
> 24/96 card. It sounds exceptional, but I haven't tried to compare a
> FLAC/WAV file via the PC vs my CD transport.
>
> One thing that gave me pause was that I think my sound card's mixer
> (I'm not talking about Windows volume control) allows me to attenuate
> the outgoing signal. I wasn't happy to see that. The fact that the
> mixer is willing to change the signal isn't a good sign. Perhaps at
> zero attenuation it is a bit-perfect transfer. But again, who knows?

One way to find out if the digital out is bit-perfect is to play a wav
encoded surround file, and connect the digital output of the sound card
to the digital input on a surround receiver. The surround sound will not
play back correctly if the bit stream is not perfect.
Wav encoded surround files can be downloaded from
http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm

I don't have proper hardware at the moment to do the test myself, but I
am interested in this because I plan to upgrade my soundcard...

(When doing such a test, ensure that the volume on your receiver is
turned down because if the output is not bit-perfect the resulting
output from your receiver might be extremely loud noise.)

--
sbjaerum