Well, if you imagine the coax SPDIF to be a variable mark/space pulse
train at high frequency, then it can be affected by almost
anything...cables, termination etc. Certainly noise can be injected
into it which could alter its interpretation. If you are dubious, try
using a long (>10m?), very cheap HDMI cable and revel in the "digital
snow" on your hi-def TV. This is basically the same thing, but it is
more obvious because:
1) it's much easier to see "noise" than it is to hear it
2) HDMI is much greater bandwith (2Ghz?) so is more sensitive to cable
quality, termination and so on

Now we could have some fun here, but I think that SPDIF is more fragile
than HDMI...

Ironically, it was my experiments with HDTV that finally convinced me
that digital audio signals need a lot of TLC, and that they can easily
be "corrupted".

--
Phil Leigh