nelamvr6 Wrote:
> You should really do some A/B comparisons for yourself.  MP3's can sound
> quite good, if you encode them VBR with high quality presets (I use 0,
> but anything 2 or less).
>
> The file size when using VBR vs flac is much (*MUCH*) smaller. You give
> up a little bit in SQ, but you gain a LOT in storage space, which can be
> important on a portable.

This is also what I do. I have found MP3 with VBR 0 is good enough for
portable use. When I listen to portable sound, it is in less than
optimal situations.

nelamvr6 Wrote:

> When we're talking home use, lossless is the way to go. But on a
> portable it's sometimes a good idea to make compromises.
>
> The good news is that once you get your music stored as flac files, you
> can transcode them to any format you like. There are many utilities out
> there that do this, many of these are free.

I use a program called "Easy CD-DA Extractor" ( http:/www.poikosoft.com
) to convert my FLAC's to MP3's, and a home made script to convert from
FLAC to ogg.

--
tomsi42

SB3, Rotel RC-1070/RB-1070, dynaBel Exact.