Here is some information taken directly from the Stello website (for the
DA220 MkII):

> Supports upto 24Bit/192kHz upsampling
> - Sampling Rate Selectable: Bypass, 48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz
> - True 24Bit Delta-Sigma DAC
> - Digital De-emphasis
> - Phase Selection: 0, 180 Degree
> - On-chip PLL eliminates jitter
> - Custom designed 6th order digital filtering circuitry
> - Special buffer stage between digital filter and analog out
> - Separate transformers for analog and digital circuits
> - High quality electronic components and gold plated RCA connectors
> - 4 Digital Inputs (1 AES/EBU, 1 Coaxial, 1 Coaxial or USB selectable,
> 1 Toslink)
> - 3 Digital Outputs (1 AES/EBU, 1 Coaxial, 1 Toslink)
> - 2 Analog Outputs: 1 Balanced Output (XLR) & 1 Unbalanced Output
> (RCA)
> - Full Balanced Class A Operation Analog Stage

Some things bother me like "On-chip PLL", "6th order digital
filtering", and "True 24-bit Delta-Sigma DAC". Let's take them in
order.

"On-chip PLL": Well, this is simply marketing, as every SPDIF and USB
receiver chip I know of uses "on-chip" PLL to recover the incoming
clock. They might as well have said, "It uses a combination of
resistors, capacitors, and transistors to propagate the electrical
signal!"

"Sixth-order digital filtering": This one's too obvious. Hey, the more
filtering the better, right?

"True 24-bit Delta-Sigma DAC": This one is bad in so many ways. Suffice
it to say, that even the cheapest off-the-shelf DAC chips use this
methodology. This is just a case of snazzy marketing.

In summary, if I were choosing between the Lavry and Stello, I'd go
with the former. The Lavry is a much more sophisticated design in every
conceivable way. The Stello is just taking off the shelf chips,
connecting them in the usual ways, and using brilliant marketing and
packaging to cover it up. Anyway, that's my opinion.

--
ezkcdude

SB3->Derek Shek TDA1543/CS8412 NOS DAC->MIT Terminator 2
interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound
Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton
Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.