I thought I would weigh in on this topic since I have run into some
hearing probs myself. About 10 years ago, in my mid 20s, I got a
hearing test and it showed some pretty significant loss for someone
pretty young. This test concluded that my high frequencies were
deficient (10KHZ-Left, 12KHZ -Right). My frequency response has dipped
a bit in 10 years, but the fact remains that there is an imbalance that
is noticeable.
After that initial test, I went into a state of depression and it took
years for me to conclude that my loss really wasn't my fault ( I didn't
burn my ears out listening to loud concerts, loud workplace etc...). My
loss was due to some horrible ear infections as a child combined with a
genetic predisposition for tinnitus.
As an audiophile, it is sometimes hard to listen to the 'music' rather
than listening to the 'sound,' if you get my drift. Often times I would
catch myself getting wrapped up in the way the music 'sounded' in my
system as well as obsessing about my own hearing inadequacy. It has
taken years really just to come to grips with this and to force myself
to focus on musical content rather than frequency response and balance.
It is especially difficult in my situation with one ear more deficient
than the other. When listening through headphones or a balanced two
channel system, the focus and content tend to be a little more towards
the right. This is because of the way, as you all know, the brain
interprets, and interpolates stereo signals.
That said, I am still an avid audiophile and I appreciate adding
equipment into my system which makes things sound better. I might  not
be able to hear like a dog, but what I do hear, I really appreciate. So
here are some morsels of wisdom for those with some hearing loss:
* Stop obsessing about the 'sound' and get back to hearing the music.
* If you do listen to the 'sound,' focus on the differences. If you
slide in a new component, tweak, cable, etc... and you can hear or even
'feel' a noticeable difference, then it is a good thing.
* Don't let anyone make you feel inadequate. So what if you cannot hear
high frequencies! Unless you do it for a living as in audio/music
engineering, listening is a 'personal experience.'
* I wouldn't get your hearing checked unless you are having a hard time
communicating via spoken word. All an ENT/Audiologist would do is say
'gee you have some hearing loss don't ya?' What can they do other than
recommend a hearing aid? There is no surgery or rogaine for the
cochlear hairs folks.
* For those of you that do have tinnitus, I have have found some relief
by taking the vitamin Niacin. It does quiet the ringing a bit. It is
over the counter, but I would suggest asking your doctor about it
first. You can get help/support here: http://www.ata.org/ if you like.

--
fezco