Cheers Deaf Cat - happy to help if I can. Obviously I'm biased and you
should try it out  for yourself. However, the 5103 can be daunting to
setup (which you only do once) - if you need help just mail me.

The SB+5103 analogue connection does respond to good cables (I used
Linn Silver, then moved to Chord Signature. The coax connection also
seems to benefit from a good 75ohm cable (I used the Kimber Silver
one...KCAG something...). Any old toslink cable will do ;)

If you can get a used unit, you can send the serial number to Linn and
they can tell you exactly what spec the unit is, upgrades etc...

There is a myth that Linn gear only works with other Linn gear. Whilst
true of some older equipment (esp. Linn speakers), the 5103 works with
pretty much any ancilliary gear.

Cheers
Phil

--