seanadams Wrote:
> I hope the preceding comments about SNR made sense. Squeezebox is *not*
> a preamp!  If you don't want to use a preamp, you need something like
> this:
>
> http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html
>
> Although probably -20db or so. It's just a couple resistors. (BTW do
> not "stack" these attenuators - try to get ones of the right value).
>
> The problem is not the SB's noise floor per se, it is that you're not
> using the digital volume control as intended. BTW, I somewhat regret
> putting the "preamp" volume control setting in there - it is not a
> substitute for analog attenuation and should NOT be used in a high-end
> system at large attentuation levels.
>
> Max volume on SB *must* correspond to your max listening level. Even if
> the noise floor were 50dB lower, you would still be throwing away most
> of the DAC's dynamic range by going direct into an amp. It would be a
> complete waste of a very nice system not to do this correctly!

Hello All,
I have a question  concerning the external attenuators. My current
setup is  a Musical Fidelity A3CR power amplifier and Epos 12.2
speakers with my Squeezebox connected directly to the power amp.

I find with the default settings (preamp settings is set to 0) I  must
set the squeezebox volume to 55%-65% to have the output volume at a
decent listening level and for an 'engaging level' the volume level is
at 75%-85%.

So my question is should i still purchase attenuators for my amplifier
squeezebox given that the squeezebox seems by default well matched to
my system? (note i plan on purchasing a pre-amplifier / dac in the
future)

-best
-gwak

--