Just to add my UKP0.02 worth...

I'd moved my entire system from the dining room recently (SB3, Arcam
Black Box 50, Yamaha DSP-A592, Eltax Symphony 6) as I needed to use it
elsewhere (and took the opportunity to have a tidy-up). When I
reconnected I just did a minimal setup as I'm moving house in a couple
of weeks, so just ran the analogue outs from the SB straight into the
amp...

Compared to what I had before it sounded harsh and fatiguing. (I
plugged in my old Technics SL-PG590 CD player to compare, in fact it
sounds slightly better than this, but I guess I got too used to the
Arcam DAC.) And I found myself not bothering to play music in the
dining room.

So I've just plugged in a spare DAC I had kicking around (Audio Alchemy
DAC-in-the-box) between the SB and amp using the co-ax output. Result -
it sounds far smoother, much more musical and doesn't make me want to
turn it off after a couple of tracks.

The DAC in the SB3 is probably comparable with that in an £80 CD player
however. But then these tend to sound fatiguing after a while.

--
Squirrel