If you've got your head round that, then it must be time for me to
confuse you again!  :-)

The other problem with using the digital volume control is that it
reduces the dynamic range of your digital signal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_resolution

However, since CD data has 16 bits of resolution, and the SB does its
volume control with 24 bit resolution, its arguable whether this loss
in dynamic range is audible. This is one of the things audiophiles like
to discuss! Here's a couple of threads I've dug up:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17719
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19697

But regardless of the details, the conclusion is still the same. Do as
little volume control as possible in the digital domain!!

--
cbemoore