SanjayJ Wrote:
> > 5. a legal way to rip DVD-Audio in 5.1 96kHz/24bit or even just a two
> channel mixes at up to 192 kHz/24 bit onto Slimserver for personal use
> and stream it to Squeezebox - consider using MLP to reduce data rate.
> E.g. Figure a way to pay a license fee to decrypt the data, re-encode
> with DRM to permit only streaming to Squeezebox not file copying, and
> charge the small DVD-Audio market $100 extra for a Slimserver plug-in
> that does this.Or why not have the Transporter support 192/24 for those of us
> that do
know how to rip DVD-A illegaly? I know the DAC supports 192/24, so
can't a firmware upgrade allow the Transporter to play 192/24? And it's
not like illegal DVD-A rips are the only material at 192/24, some people
make needle-drops at that sampling rate/bit depth.

I'm currently in the market for an audiophile-grade transport and the
only reason I would consider getting a Transporter instead of a SB
would be if it supports 192/24. At that price point you really should
offer 192/24 support, especially when the DAC supports it. I don't
think the data transfer rates should be an issue, I have streamed
FLAC/WAVPACK at 192/24 over a Wi-Fi connection, so with a wired
Ethernet connection it will only be easier.

I understand that it is nearly impossible (the majors will most
definitely not let you do that, and I doubt it'll be cost effective
anyway) to implement legalized DVD-A ripping with DRM, but why not just
offer 192/24 support and let the customer decide whether he wants to
circumvent the DVD-A copy protection and commit a crime? It's not like
you'll be doing anything illegal...

Just my 2 cents ;)

--
ec461