dlite Wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance guys, but eager to learn, but what is a switcher
> exactly? And what type is better and why? In plain english please,
> thanks for your time in advance.

This is an extremely abbreviated answer -

Essentially there are two kinds of power supplies in common use: linear
regulators, which can only "drop" a voltage, and switch-mode power
supplies, which can make the voltage go up or down. The key difference
is that linear supplies work like "variable resistors" - dissipating
the difference between their input and output voltages as heat, whereas
switchers essentially turn on and off in order to generate the output
voltage, which makes them more efficient.

The advantages of switchers is that they are relatively small, can
deliver a large amount of power without waste, and if needed can be
designed to _increase_ a voltage. Their disadvantage is that they may
generate noise of various kinds, so great care must be taken if they
are used in audio circuits.

Linear regulators have the advantage of being simpler and usually less
noisy than switchers. However, they are inefficent, and thus
impractical for producing large currents.  Transporter includes an
exotic form of the linear regulator, called the Jung Regulator or Super
Regulator, which has exceptionally low noise characteristics.

Cost depends on the application, but usually linear supplies are less
expensive when dealing with small currents (500mA or less). Both
flavors come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. Transporter uses
several different kinds of power supplies - in total there are roughly
four switchers and a dozen linear regulators. Choosing appropriate
power supplies for each subsystem, and keeping the switching and linear
power rails separate are among the basic noise/emi control techniques
employed in Transporter.

--
seanadams