I'm also one of the sickos on www.head-fi.org. Of course, if you go
there, you'll end up spending more than you had planned on
headphones...

Personally, I own the following headphones:
- AKG K1000
- Sennheiser HD580
- Shure E2c
- Shure E4c

The K1000's get most of my home listening time, and the E4c's get most
of my time on the road. I never liked the sound of Grado's that I've
heard. (Headphone lovers usually fall into either the Grado or
Sennheiser camps. I guess I'm in the latter.) But headphone preference
is definitely a personal thing, more so than other hi-fi components or
speakers. So my suggestion would be to find a local a dealer that will
have a variety of models for you to try out. (In-ear monitors can be
tested with disposable foam tips.)

--
TiredLegs