Sean, thank you for the tests, I had not intended this to get into an
adversarial issue, I'm just trying to find out whats going on here to
get the best sound.

I appologize if I have "cast aspersions" on you or your products that
has not been my intent.

In order to try and get to the bottom of this I took everything all
apart and rebuilt it and reinstalled software etc.

All the following is with the low jitter clock in the DAC feeding the
SB3 and the "I2S" lines going into the DAC where they are split(taking
into account the left justified format), reclocked  by the low jitter
clock and fed to the DAC chips. The resultant jitter is somewhere at 10
or less ps(its vert tough to measure down there)

With some single frequency wave files at various levels and frequencies
I get exactly the same output as with the same files sent over USB (but
much lower jitter).

With music files I get mixed results, some have the same volume as USB
and some are lower in volume. This was done using a peak hold feature
of the peak to peak measurement in the scope. I finally tracked this
down, it was due to replay gain. It turns out that the installation of
slimserver was not preserving settings, so even though I had set replay
gain to disable, the next time it started it went back to "SMART GAIN".
Some of the music files had gain tags and others didn't, thus causing
the disparity. Due to switching back and forth between SB and USB
inputs I had to reeboot the computer often and did not explicetly check
all the settings every time slimserver started up. BTW the "preamp gain"
doesn't seem to affect the bits going to the DAC chip, it must be
implemented in the attenuator builtin to the DAC chip.

The "not sounding as good" issue turned out to be EMI coming from the
SB3. Because the cable between SB3 and DAC is very short they have to
right next to each other. I tried a test where I was running data over
USB and turned on the SB3 and played music through it, this caused the
"degradation" even though the data was not coming from the SB3.
Wrapping the SB3 in aluminum foil got rid of the problem. It didn't
even have to be grounded. It does make it difficult to read the
display. In the unwrapped mode I tried different display brightnesses
and different screen savers and could hear no difference, it doesn't
seem to be a display issue.

The upshot is that I'm now listening to a rather interestingly styled,
very brightly shining, SB3 with replay gain turned OFF, with very low
jitter going to my DAC, the results are stunning.

Sean, thanks for puting up with me while I worked this out.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson