bitmonkey, I was in the same "exact" (well almost) same boat as you 2
months ago.  I had the Arcam CD23T which is almost the same as your
CD23 and I wanted to get a Squeezebox but I was not willing to
compromise sound quality at all.

So I read stuff on multiple forums, people were all telling me no
problem the SB will beat your CD23T hands down, no jitter, bit perfect
and so on...

Well I decided to jump in and got myself a modded RedWineAudio SB2.
The SB2 is supposed to be a tiny bit better then SB3 for modding.  I
went with RWA because I liked the fact that it was battery powered so
no more expensive power cable and power conditionning.  There are a few
who say the Bolder mods are a bit better then the RWA but that is once
you add all sorts of features like again power cable, silver bybee and
so on.

Since I was not convinced at all a SB internal DAC could beat the
famous RingDAC we have in our Arcam CDP, I also decided to buy an
external DAC at the same time.

After several weeks of a/b testing with various configurations of
interconnect and digital cables, I sold my CDP.  However, its not with
the moded SB internal DAC that I was able beats my CDP, it's with the
moded SB digital out feeding my external DAC with a good digital
cable.

So I can't talk about the Bolder mods, but if I was you, I would
probably spend just on the digital mod and get the best DAC you can
afford that meets your taste.

Hope this helps a bit, don't hesitate if you have specific questions on
my setup.

--
Loftprojection