I think there are a few principles operating here.

First, there's the tweaker mentality that enjoys customizing and trying
to wring a 1% improvement out of a device at any cost.

Next, there's the "in-stages" approach to upgrades. Buying a SB then
adding a better power supply, then upgrading internals, then adding a
good DAC, etc etc, allows you to make improvements to your system in
smaller budgetary chunks. Even if the end result costs more and may not
beat what the single-solution Transporter offers, it's over a timeframe
you can control. Probably also helps with the WAF as well. Easier to
slip in 10 $200 purchases over a year than one $2000.  I've built a
very nice system over the past couple of years and I don't think any
individual piece cost $2k.

These two approaches, combined, allow you to swap bits in and out,
making comparisons btwn what works and doesn't work for an individual.

All said, the Transporter looks great and I'd love to have one.
Eventually....

--
joncourage