SoftwireEngineer;132111 Wrote:
> if at all the 63db attenuation is making a difference, it is by
> influencing the jitter.

How do you know this?

SoftwireEngineer;132111 Wrote:
> but the clock locked into the incoming stream will be swinging (ie.
> jitter).

Like I said, whatever happens after the SPDIF is another matter and
entirely dependant on the design of the DAC in use. The tests show to
me that SPDIF over a cheap optical cable provides good enough timing to
get error free PCM onto my computer's PCI bus.

If I were to stick a FIFO on the output of the SPDIF receiver, and use
my own clock to feed the DAC from the FIFO, it ought to at least be
free from SPDIF jitter (but not buffer underruns or overflows). Would
this not remove any continuously audible distortion from the analogue
audio that may be caused by the transport (at least until the first
underrun/overflow)?

The DAC1, according to it's website, has an Ultralock in it to sort
this out, sounds magic. I wonder how it works?

--
ohios