My current preamp is a DIY model that I would say is on par with
commercial ones in the $4k to $10K range. Using the SB3 direct to the
power amp,even with the digital volume control, sounds sinificantly
better than using the preamp.

Thats not to say the digital volume ontrol is perfect, I CAN hear a
slight degradation in sound when running below 40, but its still
significantly better than with the preamp in circuit.

I'm not sure whether its the analog volume control (stepped attenuator
with very good resistors), the active circuitry or the extra set of
interconnects and connectors. (or a combination of all the above). One
of these days I'm going to try the stepped attenuator on the input to
the power amp and see how that effects things. (its nice to have
everything DIY, its easy to make tests like that)

I was rather surprised by those results, the current preamp is
significantly better than any other preamp I've had in my system
(incuding several pasive pres), but it was a real eye-opener
(ear-opener?) to hear the direct connect.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson