I've been talking with AKM about the question of what is the "right"
impedance for a balanced output.

They use 1K because in practice, it is very common for someone to
unwittingly connect a passive balun connector to the end of a balanced
cable in order to drive an RCA input.  These adaptors  have one leg
tied to ground, beacuse that's what you want if you're driving a
balanced _input_.  Although the op amps could easily drive, say 100R,
by using a 1K output Z you ensure that the signal from the side you
want is not distorted because the other side is "working too hard" to
drive a short at the end of the cable.

The counterpoint to this is that if someone wants to drive an
unbalanced input, they should really be using our RCA outs instead of
fiddling with adaptors, so maybe it's a non issue and we should be
using 100R instead.

I doubt that 1K could be "too high" for driving any typical amplifier,
including tube amps.  However, we have an opportunity to change it...
open to ideas here.

--
seanadams