Got home today and switched on the hifi.
Lots of treble energy emminating from the speakers. Did it really sound
like this yesterday? Sounds a bit flat and "digital" today...

I pulled out and pushed back in the digital RCA contacts to see if that
would help. It helped a little, but the sound was still bright.

I then thought I should try the same on the newly installed "separate
signal ground connectors" (see
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28307 ).
Sat down again.. WTF, why is the sound so quiet? I haven't touched the
volume.. I turn up the volume and now it sounds the way it should
again! No harsh treble.

I'll now make a couple of assumptions and present a hypotheses:

Assumptions (or guesses if you prefer):

1. The one thing that deteriates in contact interfaces first is HF
transmission. So my physical movement of connectors helps HF move
through the signal ground connectors.

2. HF-differential between the SPDIF sender and transmitter's signal
grounds will show up as part of the digital signal sensed by the SPDIF
receiver.

Hypothesis:

In an coax SPDIF interface: Sender and receiver signal grounds which
are not HF-connected will allow HF to embed in the digital signal
(detected in the form of jitter) to produce artificial overtones to the
music signal. The extent to which this happens will depend on the exact
implementation details for the SPDIF transmitter and receivers.

--
P Floding