radish;139268 Wrote:
> It is sent down the SPDIF at 24-bit. If the volume control is at 100%
> then the bottom byte will be all zeros, a 16-bit DAC will strip the
> bottom byte and so it is effectively bit-perfect.
>
> This is with lossless streaming. If you use the onboard mp3 decoder
> then the output from that is 24-bit to start with.

I read in another thread that by virtue of good software and using a
24-bit internal DAC in the SB3 (8 extra bits to work with, past the
usual 16), the built-in SB3 volume control that affects both analog and
digital outputs will not lose bits until volume is reduced to ~40 or
less.

I've now also learned here, that the data signal being output at the
S/PDIF on the SB3 is maintained at 24-bit.

To clarify please: So external DAC users can keep the nice "no bit
loss" aspect of the SB3 volume (when set above 40), so long as the
external DAC is 24-bit?

--
NewBuyer