Phil Leigh;149949 Wrote:
> Nice post Cliveb - I agree with pretty much everything apart from the
> fact that there are ALWAYS people mad enough to write their own DBMS -
> again. :0)
Actually, I just got a PM from Rob Darling of Sooloos, and one of the
things he said in it was:
> We do have our own dbms. We use metadata in ways that are unique and
> allow us to scale in a way that nothing else can.
Not quite sure what he means by "scale in a way that nothing else can".
This must be news to industry strength DBMS vendors like Oracle, Sybase,
etc, which routinely support databases with hundreds of terabytes. Mind
you, that needs more than $12k of hardware :-)

Phil Leigh;149949 Wrote:
> ...also whilst HTTP is too sluggish, you wouldn't want the client to get
> too fat - but you would want a fair bit of intelligent client-side in
> memory caching (ooo this is fun)
The client can still run on the server hardware - the critical issue
here is that the client keeps a connection open to the server, does
some clever caching, and avoids using something like HTML/XML/whatever
as the data transfer language (which requires parsing by a fairly
complex process just to display it sensibly). The remote control device
is just the human interface - think of it as like a special purpose
wireless keyboard/monitor.

But any remote that's usable while you slob on the sofa (ie. like a TV
remote) would be too small to provide anything like the rich info
that's displayed on the Sooloos control panel. I guess this has to be a
preference thing. I personally wouldn't want a great big video display -
but then I don't bother with album art, and I can see how it might
appeal to those who do.

Incidentally, Rob's PM also mentioned that their control panel
component has a gigabyte of RAM for caching (no surprises there). What
would be interesting is to find out how quickly the system is ready to
rock after a cold start up.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?