OK, I finally got it all set up, with some help from Inguz. The
difference in sound could be characterized as night and day, with no
exaggeration.

I made a few stupid mistakes, which I think others probably have, as
well. I'll list them here. If you don't make these mistakes, setting
everything up should take less than an hour, or two hours if you take
your time.

1. I didn't set audacity's preference to record in stereo. It defaults
to mono. You can't do your sweeps in mono and generate filters.

2. I didn't set my laptop to use the usb device as its microphone
source. This meant that it used its internal microphone. The results
were execrable. Judging from some comments Inguz made to me, I'd guess
that there are others who made this mistake, as well.

3. I neglected to modify the conf files for drc. The default microphone
is _not_ the behringer ecm8000, which is what I used, and the default
target curve wasn't the flat one, but a spline. The result was a
somewhat hollow sound. Others have reported hollow sounds, as well, so
I'd bet that this is a mistake others have made.

Dont' make these mistakes, and the process is pretty painless :).

Pros and cons of this versus a behringer dac

Cons:
1. Not as "tweakable". This is actually a benefit for me, and others
like me. I don't know a lot about equalization, and I have enough other
things to learn about professionally that I just don't have the time or
energy for this one. Note that you _can_ modify the target curve, if
you so desire, and there _are_ much more configurable pieces of
software that will generate filters that can be used by the plugin (I
think one of the companies that makes one is called acousta).

2. You can't have multiple squeezeboxes have different eq. This is
actually false in the general case, although I've seen people mention
this. You _can't_ have multiple squeezeboxes use different eq if there
sync'ed, though.

Pros:
1. It automatically deals with the bass, unlike the behringer. This
makes it easier to use.
2. Time/phase correction in addition to frequency response correction
(a biggie).
3. If you can borrow the measurement equipment (what I did), then it's
free (at least until or if Inguz starts charging for the software).
Alternatively,you could share the cost amongst a bunch of friends,
since you don't need to all use it at once.

Overall, I can't imagine going back (after only 1 day!). One thing this
exercise did was make me realize just how truly horrific my room really
is (I knew it was bad, but it's beyond bad). I will now concentrate all
resources I expend on audio on the room for a while.

Hope people find this helpful.

--
totoro