I have been listening to music for several hours straight now and could
not contain myself any longer - I needed to rave about my new system!

I've been using SB2 for a long time now, but due to convenience, had it
plugged into a Bose Wave radio, and sometimes a Denon AVR-4800 with
Klipsch KG4's. Howver, my true-love speakers were in my other apartment
(Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII). They were being driven by my old college
amp (Luxman L-430) which finally decided to give up the right channel.

OK, time to ship those puppies home and set them up in my living room
to create a proper system! With a dead amp, I was able to convince the
wife that I had to buy a new amp. And my goal was a minimalist system
which just sounded good. I finally chose the following:

Amp - after a lot of research, I decided that I couldn't go wrong
trying out the Portal Panache with its 60 day return policy. It got
great reviews, seemed like it would love my Dyns, and the designer was
a minimalist who bleieved in spending the momey on the parts and not
on_any_fluff (no remote even). I called Joe at Portal to she what he
thought of the match, and he told me that he happened to have a pair of
the monoblocks in stock from a magazine review that he could let me have
at considerable discount. Hmm...overbudget, but another great excuse to
upgrade. Sold! Now I have these brawny yet subtle Portal Paladin
Monoblocks, but needed a preamp to control the volume.

Preamp - I read every thread on this site about using the SB2 to
control the volume and finally Sean posted to a thread I started saying
"please don't". Ok, I guess that sealed it. I looked into a lot of
passive options (Endler Attenuators etc.) and finally decided on the
Axiom passive pre (with cassock upgrade) made by Luminous Audio.

Speakers arrived this morning and I put it all together and
oh...my...god... I just didn't know this could all sound so good.

And with the ease I can cue up any song I feel like listening too, I
have not moved from the chair with my laptop browser controlling SS and
a big stupid grin on my face.

Just wanted to say that if anyone is interested in good value and high
quality with no BS and people who are a pleasure to work with, check
into the guys above (Portal and Luminous).

http://portalaudio.com/paladin.html
http://www.luminousaudio.com/axiom.html

--
ob_kook