The best amps I've had in my system -- to me -- were McIntosh MC-501s.
Sonically, they were as close to perfect as I've ever heard.  My wife
hated them, I was going to spend money on other things, so out they
went.  I had an eVo 200.2 for a while (along with the splendid Pre2)
and was quite happy with it.  I've have Sunfire and far less expensive
Carvers this year, too, and they worked well.

My reaction to Nuforce is mixed.  The first demo pair I got were
noisey.  So, I sent them back.  They came back somewhat better...but
not by much.  There was lots of back and forth, I read the well-known
Six Moons review, and then I decided to can Nuforce.

I only have the set now because we're moving overseas and the
convenience of an amp that doesn't require a trip to a service center
for voltage changes is great.  Honestly, I liked them at first -- and
there is a lot to like about them.  The noise issue is gone, bass is
terrific, etc.  Still, I have heard better in the imaging deparment.
Hence my interest in the Ref 1000s -- I respect the company, etc.

As for the high-end roll-off, well, better that than flipping up the
top-end.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.