highdudgeon;157631 Wrote:
> Well, that's the problem, isn't it?  When we start making judgements
> about other people based on their points of view?  Sure, the
> "objectivist" -- I certainly lean in that direction and absolutely
> believe in the us double-blind tests -- can get loud; however, the
> "subjectivist" crowd -- and I'm a bit of that, too, liking as I do
> vintage tube amps -- can get equally defensive and rude.  This very
> post is an invitation to anger and could be construed as insulting.
>
> The thing is, this community is actually quite small.  Look at the
> threads -- how many new faces do you see?  Perhaps it would be a a good
> idea to start a thread that goes like this:
>
> 1.  I am so-and-so (moniker, real name, initials, whatever); this is
> how long I've been into the hobby; this is some of my stuff; this is
> how I came to choose it; this is my basic philosophy about audio.
>
> 2. No one -- NO ONE -- replies to that post in a negative way, no
> matter how much you disagree with that individual.
>
> The point would be to have general introduction session, rather than
> getting to know each other by way of exchanged barbs.  Everyone would
> be invited to write about themselves without potentially insulting
> reference (see above) to other people.
>
> Any, this is just an idea to clear the air.  How many people are
> involved in these threads?  A dozen?  Twenty, at most?  That's not a
> lot of us and I reckon that, in person, we would be much more polite.
> Therefore, getting to know each other in a more personal way could be
> helpful.

I think this is a great idea.  I too wonder how much rude or
inflammatory behavior that happens in forums like this would continue
if folks actually knew each other, or were sitting face to face.

--
atkinsonrr

Transporter, Quicksilver V4 Monos, Vandersteen Model 5A speakers.  SB3,
Quad Tube Pre-Amp, Tube Monos, Quad ESLs.  Homemade Tripath Digital
amps, Carver ALS (original) Speakers with Outboard Crossovers.