Thought I might just throw out a suggestion here.  A while ago, I wanted
to try a super duper tweako power supply on my CD Burner, just for
grins.  I was gonna build one, but then had a thought.

Went to Ebay and found power supplies on sale that were surplussed from
laboratories.  I took a flyer and bought one.  I think it cost me about
$40 incl shipping.  It arrived, very impressive, weighing about
25-30lbs, a nice meter, rack mountable, only a couple small dings.  If
I remember right, it had "Bell Labs" and a serial # scratched into the
bottom plate.  I never did an A-B but it worked great and I know I just
felt a little better knowing it had this huge reserve headroom in terms
of amperage draw.

When I get back to Montana I hope to use it on my SB-3.  If I remember
I'll attempt an A-B test and let you all know.

--
atkinsonrr

Transporter, Quicksilver V4 Monos, Vandersteen Model 5A speakers.  SB3,
Quad Tube Pre-Amp, Tube Monos, Quad ESLs.  Homemade Tripath Digital
amps, Carver ALS (original) Speakers with Outboard Crossovers.