I had the same set up. For best quality output I used this set up:
Mute SB3 analog outputs (0), set SB3 digital output as constant (i.e.
without any volume control), leave Benchmark such that that the volume
knob is disabled (setting on back I think).
Then use the amp volume to set listening levels.
However, my pre-amp had a remote... I wouldn't have had this setup if I
had to get up off the floor to change the volume!
I assume you have an integrated amp? I had a separate power and pre-amp
and found that the Benchmark Dac pre-amp ran my power amp very nicely
indeed... but I left the pre-amp in the system so I could use the
remote to change the volume.
MC

--
ModelCitizen