I'm just curious about experiences people have had with various
switching or digital amps.  I ask this both in relation to using such
amps in direct connection to a Transporter, SB3, or SB3+DAC and in
relation to general thoughts.

As many people know, TAS published a "round table" on switching amps
that was controversial, to say the least.  Some have argued that most
of the contributers were being conservative and using theoretical
possibilities to justify having "heard" things a certain way; others
have argued that they were dead on and that, for the most part, the
technology is not yet mature.

Personally, I am a solid state user, despite a lingering thing I have
over a McIntosh MC-275.  Anyway, here are the switching amps I have
tried: Channel Islands Audio D-100 (Dusty is just the nicest guy); Bel
Canto eVo 2i Gen II; Nuforce 9.02; Bel Canto e.One Ref1000s (what's
with the funny names?).  I have not heard Rowland amps, which are a
much different take on ICEpower.

General feelings: the CI amp was pretty good but not as good as my
standard (an MC-402).  But, very good nonetheless.  I can easily
recommend it.  Nuforce was weird -- I just bemused by the QC.  They
sounded just fine, true, but I didn't think they were marvels.  Not
better than the MC-402; just kinda different, maybe more trebly?  Bel
Canto integrated -- a real value!  Looks nice, sounds great, what more
could you ask?  Not a "reference" device, but a damn good one.  Bel
Canto ICEpower amps -- really good.  As good as anything else I've had.
Mind you, these are nuances, more often than not.

I haven't played with true digital amps, like TacT/Lyngdorf.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.