One thing you can do is rip to a lossless format, such as FLAC, and then
set slimserver to stream as mp3 (bitrate limiting) with whatever bitrate
is necessary to avoid dropouts.  Personally I've never had drops (with a
wireless g network and strong signal strength) even when streaming WAV,
but for a while I had my SB at work connected to a weak wireless signal
and needed to do that.

One advantage of lossless source files is that you're compressing to
MP3 from WAV, rather than transcoding from one lossy format to another
(and thereby potentially introducing transcoding artifacts).

--
opaqueice