highdudgeon;161137 Wrote:
> Has anyone seriously and honestly compared EAC rips to good 'ole iTunes
> and Apple Lossless?  The way to do this would be to have a friend over,
> I think, and play the tracks without telling him/her which is which.
> That would just help you do a reality check.
>
> I'm using iTunes exclusively -- in part out of convenience -- but my
> sound is wonderful and I don't find it lacking. Yes. I thought so too until
> recently. I have happily ripped 16000
tracks in 320 kbps MP3 and now I accidentally discovered that a few
quiet piano tracks have artefacts that are easily audible, such as
burbling hiss background, once I am clued in. Damn!!

So I set up a playlist consisting of Glenn Gould Bach Goldberg
recording from 1981, just track 1, encoded either as 320 kbps mp3, or
FLAC. The encoding is not obvious from the track name. I simply give
the remote to someone, show them how to flip between the two, and ask
them to play them until they are happy that one sounds better.
Meanwhile, I live the room.

So far 3/3 can 100% detect the difference, mainly due to the hiss, but
we also suspect that piano sound is slightly affected in the harmonics.
But I can't really live with this extra hiss on certain recordings, so
I'm faced with selective re-ripping, maybe of all the classical.

--
SteveC