opaqueice;164423 Wrote:
> If you replace the SB by a CD player or other source (using the *same
> cables and the same inputs*), do you get a significantly lower level of
> hiss?
>
> By the way, when you say there is a lot of hiss, do you mean when the
> SB is idle, or when it's playing something?

When I was comparing the noise floor of my SB3 with my CD player,
(which is a NAD C542 by the way,) I was using identical cables via
another input on my preamp. I tried swapping the inputs on the preamp,
and the noise floor followed the SB3. I tried unplugging the CD player
completely, and I tried swapping just the cables. I tried playing a
"dead silence" mp3 track, leaving it paused, stopped, etc. It always
had a noise floor that was about 10 dB higher than my CD player.

In fairness, the external LiTe 68 DAC I had for 30 days had a higher
noise floor output than the SB3.

Possibly my CD player is unusually quiet, but it has become my standard
for acceptable noise floor:)

How clean is the 5 VDC reference voltage on the DAC chip in the SB3?

-Ron

--
Ron F.