I have now reconfigured the layout of my system so I can use a better
interconnect, and have allowed the Shek to burn in a bit more (i.e.
left it playing while I went on holiday!)

It's interesting that the differences are more readily apparent but the
sources are closer in 'absolute performance'.  The Shek is better than
my Shanling at presenting a believable acoustic, but the Shanling is
better at presenting the scale of a performance.

The Shek has a number of irritations - low output (i.e. increased noise
from my valve amp), significant loss of quality if I use the SB3 volume
to any real extent, unlistenable when a recording hits digital
clipping.  However, when I consider the convenience of the SB3 over
CDs, these are easily offset.

So it's become a matter of 'horses for courses', sonically.  The
SB3/Shek is good enough to become my main source (I'm listening to it
now).  Since I enjoy using the SB so much - so much easier to find cool
and unexpected music in my collection - I suspect that it will become
so, but time will tell.

But anyway, the Shek makes my SB3 sound good.  I think the stock SB3 is
a good gadget, but it only became audiophile for me with the addition of
the Shek.  At £400 for the combo, it's a far better bargain than the
£210 for the SB3.

Oh and Tomsi, I should have been clearer on the 'phono' issue.  In
terms of audio boobs, it would have been a good one!  Reminds me of
when I bought the Shanling: the dealer started it up and said, with a
big smile on his face, "how about that then?"; I said it sounded like
he'd lost his left tweeter (the joys of biwire cables), which wiped the
smile off his face - how could he not hear that?  Oh well.

Adam

--
adamslim

SB3 into Derek Shek d2, Shanling CDT-100, Rotel RT-990BX, Esoteric Audio
Research 859, Living Voice Auditorium IIs, Nordost cables